The Flu Campaign 2016
As the flu season approaches it is time to start think about the flu vaccination, or as many call it – “flu jab”. This season the main expected flu strains are;
How Flu Jabs Can Help
The flu jab will not stop all flu viruses but it does stop many and studies have shown its effectiveness. The level of protection varies between individuals so while protection is not 100% assured if you do get the flu the effects will likely be milder and much shorter liver than otherwise may have been the case. Evidence has shown that having a flu jab can also reduce the risk of having a stroke. If you have has a flu jab you may ask why you need another. Over time flu strains change so the effectiveness of existing jabs decreases. This is why new jabs are developed and given every year.
Who needs a Flu Jab?
Flu is never pleasant but in certain groups it can be more severe, for example;
- anyone over the age of 65
- pregnant women
- children and adults with an underlying health condition (particularly long-term heart or respiratory disease)
- children and adults with weakened immune systems
People in these risk groups, should the get flu, are more likely to develop possibly serious complications such as pneumonia, so it is recommended that they should have a flu vaccine every year.
The flu vaccine is given free on the NHS as an annual injection to:
- adults over the age of 18 at risk of flu (including everyone over 65)
- children aged six months to two years at risk of flu
Flu Nasal Spray Vaccination
The flu vaccine is given as an annual nasal spray to:
- children aged two to 17 years at a particular risk of flu
- healthy children aged two, three and four years old
Where & When to Have Your Vaccination
Tudor Medical Centre & Wellington Road Surgery will its Flu Campaign from October 2016, so if you have not been contacted towards the end of September, please get in touch.
If you are not in a high risk group but would still like a flu vaccination contact your surgery for details.
If you would prefer not to have the flu vaccination then please just let us know.Leave a reply →